Municipalities 2017 Annual Financial Reporting
Legislated Reporting Requirements
The Municipal Government Act requires that each municipality prepare annual audited financial statements and a financial information return. Both reports should be returned to Alberta Municipal Affairs by May 1 of each year.
Alberta Municipal Affairs has developed a short guide to assist municipal officials and other stakeholders to interpret the financial statements. A set of customizable slides is also available for download and is intended to be used for presenting the financial statements.
- A Quick Guide to Municipal Financial Statements
- Municipal Financial Reporting – Town of New Sampleford
Annual Financial Statements
Sample financial statements are available as a reference in the preparation of the 2017 annual audited statements for a municipality.
- New Sampleford 2017 Financial Statements
- Sample Letter - "Auditor's Independence"
- Sample Budget Reconciliation Note
A signed and dated copy of the annual audited financial statements, including the auditors' report, should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, the package can be mailed to:
Alberta Municipal Affairs
Municipal Capacity & Services Branch
17th Floor Commerce Place
10155 - 102 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4L4
Financial Information Return (FIR)
The 2017 financial information return template and the accompanying manual are now available. The template requires Microsoft Excel v.7, or newer, to complete.
- 2017 Financial Information Return Manual
- 2017 Financial Information Return excel template
- Audited Financial Statements and Tax Rate Bylaws
A signed and dated copy of the Financial Information Return, including the auditors' report, should be scanned and be sent electronically to email@example.com.