Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo Home Reconstruction
The Government of Alberta is committed to improving:
- builder accountability,
- quality of residential construction, and
- consumer protection and recourse options.
As of June 30, 2016 builders who intend to construct new homes in the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo (RMWB) must comply with builder disclosure requirements. This means that builders must provide answers about their residential construction history, financial standing and any outstanding fines or orders for posting on the RMWB Builder Registry. The information posted will allow residents impacted by the May 2016 wildfire to make more informed decisions when selecting a builder to begin their reconstruction process.
Key information for builders and homeowners to know:
- Residential Builders who want to work in the RMWB must complete the Residential Builder Declaration form and submit it to the New Home Buyer Protection Office before they can obtain a building permit. More details about the requirements can be found on the Information for Builders page.
- Information submitted on the builder declaration is provided as a resource for consumers to help them make an informed choice. The builder information provided does not constitute as an endorsement from Municipal Affairs or the Government of Alberta.
- All complete declarations are published on the RMWB Builder Registry.
- These requirements only apply to those who are building or reconstructing new homes in the RMWB.
These requirements came into force on June 30, 2016. The applicable Act and Regulations may be viewed here.